Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Martin

Everyday after work I go to pick up Jimmy from Preschool. We walk to his classroom to sign him “out” and pick up his lunch and papers from his box. Well yesterday after I pulled out the papers from his box he grabs what’s called a “Weekly Reader”, opens it up and says “we get a stay at home day because it’s this guy’s birthday” and he points to this picture if Martin Luther King Jr.

I start cracking up, and he says “why are you laughing”. As you may know a 4-year old is very sensitive about laughing after they’ve said something. I say “Jimmy that was really cool what you just said”. He smiles the “yeah, I know I’m cute” smile. I continue to laugh and he kind of looks at me like “I don’t know why you think that is so funny”. Of course, as a parent, when your child says something funny it’s usually 4 times funnier to you then to somebody else. As we are walking out I am still pretty hysterical laughing. He says “you can stop laughing now Mom”, with that look of my mom has just lost it. I just love that kids are so matter of fact like that. It doesn’t matter to him who MLKJ is, just that he gets to miss school because of his birthday.

(sigh) Kids have it so good.

No comments: